I . Перепишите следующие предложения, определите в каждом из них видо-временную форму и залог глагола - сказуемого (см. образец). Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. The modern automatic equipment is being installed in our shop.
2. Radioactive isotopes have been made in nuclear reactor.
3. The construction of the house will be completed in a month.
4. The engineer was asked about the new technology used at the plant.
II. Перепишите следующие предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на разные значения слов it, that, one.
1. The successes in chemistry made it possible to obtain a lot of new materials.
2. One must apply the material that can be machined easily.
3. It is the energy of falling water that is used to drive turbines.
III. Перепишите следующие предложения и переведите их на русский язык, помня о разных значениях глаголов to be , to have , to do .
1. The operators dealing with radioisotopes must have protective suits.
2. The engineers of different specialities are often to study difficult problems together.
3. Mice do not catch cats, cats catch mice.
4. People have made numerous attempts to construct perpetum mobile.
IV. Перепишите следующие предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на бессоюзное подчинение.
1. I think the drawing will be ready by tomorrow.
2. The characteristics we are interested in are shape and size.
V. Перепишите следующие предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на функцию инфинитива в предложении.
1. То design new buildings is the work of an architect.
2 To measure volume we must know the body dimensions.
3. The Romans were the first to build paved roads.
VI. Прочитайте и устно переведите с 1 - го по 4 - й абзацы текста. Перепишите и письменно переведите 2 - й и 3 - й абзацы.
NON-TRADITIONAL RENEWABLE SOURCES OF ENERGY
1. Now we are using traditional power sources such as oil, natural gas and coal, wind and water power. The consumption is more than 50 billion barrels per year. Scientists understand that if mankind consumes natural resources with the same rate, these resources will exhaust 1 in a few hundred years. The amount of natural resources on Earth is not unlimited. That is why it is so important to use such renewable sources of energy as the sun, wind, ocean tides, currents, geothermal energy and others. Research is being carried out in these fields.
2. One of the most promising researches is the development of power stations with direct transformation of solar energy into electricity on the basis of photo effect. It was Russia that was the first in the world to develop and test a photoelectric battery of 32,000 volts and effective area of only 0.5 sq.m., which made it possible to concentrate solar radiation. This idea is now being intensively developed in many countries.
3. However, the efficiency of a solar power station is considerably reduced because of the limited time of its work during the year. But it is possible to improve the efficiency of solar power stations by developing different combinations of solar power stations and traditional ones – thermal, atomic and hydraulic. Today some engineers are working at the problem of developing electric power stations with the use of a thermal - chemical cycle.
4. In Kamchatka there are geothermal power stations operating on hot water - steam from the depths of about a kilometer. In some projects water will be heated by the warmth of volcanoes at a depth of four - five km. Several big companies show great interest towards windmill
5. The installation of the smallest one, ranging from 100 to 2,000 kilowatts would provide sufficient electricity to power several homes; the largest could provide electricity to a small village. It is important that all these